Have a cold that’s just not getting better? You might have acute sinusitis – inflammation of the sinuses. According to MDLIVE Chief Medical Officer Dr. Ford Brewer, acute sinusitis occurs when there is bacterial growth in the sinuses as a result of an infection from a virus, bacteria, or fungus. If you’re feeling under the weather, or if your condition seems to be getting worse after 5-7 days, Dr. Brewer recommends keeping a watchful eye out for the 8 most common sinusitis symptoms:
- Bad breath or loss of smell
- Cough, often worse at night
- Fatigue and general feeling of being unwell
- Pressure-like pain, pain behind the eyes, toothache, or facial tenderness
- Nasal stuffiness and discharge
- Sore throat and postnasal drip
If you think you have sinusitis, don’t worry. There’s no need to wait days for an appointment or to struggle in to urgent care. Contact MDLIVE for a consult with a board-certified doctor via secure online video, phone, or the MDLIVE app. Most of the time, antibiotics aren’t needed, but if they are, your MDLIVE doctor can send an e-prescription to your local pharmacy.